READ THIS: THE POWER OF NOW BY ECKHART TOLLE
The Power of Now is a book written by Eckhart Tolle. The book focuses on the importance of living in the present moment and unburdening oneself of thoughts of the past or future.
Published in 1997, the book quickly became a best seller and has been translated into 33 languages. This book teaches on how to use the mind, it emphasises on the need to forego the habit of compulsive and uncontrollable thinking patterns.
One of Its core messages is that people’s emotional problems are rooted in their identification with their minds. It states that an individual should remain in their “present moment” (even though unpleasant) instead of losing themselves in longing or anger towards the past or worry and anxiety about the future.
The power of now explains that only the present moment (NOW) exists. It explains further that our pasts and future is created by our thoughts because we can never be in yesterday or tomorrow; we can only be in today… IN NOW. The book is 236 pages and it is a book that will change your life. You can get the audio version on audible.
Below are 15 quotes from the power of now:
1. Realize deeply that the present moment is all you have. Make the NOW the primary focus of your life.
2. Time isn’t precious at all, because it is an illusion. What you perceive as precious is not time but the one point that is out of time: the Now. That is precious indeed. The more you are focused on time—past and future—the more you miss the Now, the most precious thing there is.
3. I have lived with several Zen masters — all of them cats.
4. Any action is often better than no action, especially if you have been stuck in an unhappy situation for a long time. If it is a mistake, at least you learn something, in which case it’s no longer a mistake. If you remain stuck, you learn nothing.
5. It is not uncommon for people to spend their whole life waiting to start living.
6. If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.
7. …the past gives you an identity and the future holds the promise of salvation, of fulfilment in whatever form. Both are illusions.
8. If your mind carries a heavy burden of past, you will experience more of the same. The past perpetuates itself through lack of presence. The quality of your consciousness at this moment is what shapes the future.
9. What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.
10. Nothing has happened in the past; it happened in the Now. Nothing will ever happen in the future; it will happen in the Now.
11. Your outer journey may contain a million steps; your inner journey only has one: the step you are taking right now.
12. Where there is anger there is always pain underneath.
13. Die to the past every moment. You don’t need it. Only refer to it when it is absolutely relevant to the present. Feel the power of this moment and the fullness of Being. Feel your presence.
14. At the deepest level of Being, you are one with all that is.
15. Thinking is only a small aspect of consciousness. Thought cannot exist without consciousness, but consciousness does not need thought.